Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Headed South

Bright and early (or just early since the sun won’t be up yet), Ed and I will be leaving for Charlotte, North Carolina for a long weekend. It’s the postponed half of our honeymoon. We compromised when we got married: he wouldn’t invite his entire family of aunts, uncles and cousins who now live North Carolina and we would drive down to visit.  It’s just taken us til October…

But the drive should be gorgeous. South through Pennsylvania, into West Virginia, then through the Shenandoah of Virginia (where I could live – imagine living in a state with such beauty AND mounds of history) and on into North Carolina. The perfect time to go down if you want cooler weather and beautiful trees.

We’ll be there until Sunday, staying with his two aunts and we’ll see all the cousins and their families on Saturday. I confess I’m a little nervous. I’m never overly exited about being in a new place and having to meet dozens of people at once. And when I think of what it would be like if the situation were switched and Ed was meeting my extended family…well, I can’t say that would make for a 100% enjoyable experience.


But I have to confess I am looking forward to looking at all sorts of old pictures of “Little Eddie” that his Aunt Sandy has and listening to old stories. Sadly, they aren’t native to North Carolina (they all moved down there from up here when Ed was a teenager), so I won’t hear any grand Confederate-the-South-will-rise-again history. But I guess even 100% Yankee families can have interesting family histories.

No comments:

Post a Comment