Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Arts and Crafts

I am by no means very “artsy/crafty”. Some people might beg to differ on that point, but I know better. The little scrapbooking I do is very symmetrical…unless I make a huge attempt in trying to cut more than perfect squares or rectangles. And although Pinterest has many uses, I believe it is mostly for people like me who have no vision. I can do a lot of things decently well if I have a picture of the outcome in front of me and a few directions. But make something up on my own and have it turn out beautifully? Improbable.

There was a time in my life when I attempted to be more artsy/crafty than I am. I had to try, for I had a younger sister who did everything from candle making to basket weaving to chalk, pastels and pencils. She had boxes of craft supplies and could make them into beautiful things from the workings of her own mind. Rather than even try to compete in her arena, I gave beading a stab. It lasted a few months. Then I went back to my personal library and scribblings. Not colorful, but books are so neatly arranged, aren’t they?

Mostly, I think, I have gotten over the fact that I will never be artistic like my sister. And 360 days of the year, I can live peaceably with that. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t want Emry to do better. Half of me wants her to be artistic, and colorful, and have a desire to learn all sorts of things in the realm of paper, pencils, wax, reeds and whatever else. The other half of me fears that she will be just that, and I’ll be running a marathon trying to keep up with her newest craft interest. So, a few weeks ago I either decided to encourage her as an up-and-coming artist, or I thought I’d face my fears head on.

For Father’s Day, I got adventurous. A little paint, some paper and a couple of markers. Originally, I thought handprints would be nice, but she wasn’t about to unclench her little fists long enough for that. So, we got our feet a little dirty instead. She wasn’t overjoyed about that, but she mostly endured her mama’s attempt at creativity. We made a card for Grandpa, for Papa and for Uncle Caleb (who’s at Quantico for Marine officer candidate school). They turned out nicely. But if we have a budding artist on our hands is yet to be determined.


Emry the artist.

1 comment:

  1. Thats terribly cute. My kids' footprint attempts never worked half so well :)

    ReplyDelete