Friday, August 28, 2015

Disease

Lately I have been reading all about vaccinations. Why? It’s certainly not something someone who has very little interest in science picks up for light reading. It’s simply because whether or not we decide to vaccinate Emry (or be selective in our vaccinations), I certainly want to be informed. As my mother wisely said, “Just because every one else jumps off the cliff, will you?”

Vaccinations are certainly one of those things that most people do just because it’s been done for decades now and don’t you give your kids their shots when they’re 2 months, and 4 months, and 6 months and so on? And others don’t because of the risks involved with the stuff in the shots themselves. I know informed and trusted people on both sides of the vaccination arguments, and I’m by no means anti-vaccination or completely pro-vaccination. I just want us to make a wise decision for our little girl.

Surprisingly, I’ve found the information I’ve been reading to be very informative and not completely over my head. Of course, I have no idea what some of the things are that are put in these immunization shots. Nor am I going to purchase a medical dictionary to find out. I know enough to make an informed decision. But what I have found most interesting is the illnesses themselves. I’ve been able to read most of it and not itch all over, wondering if I have them. And marveling at God’s design.

Of course, disease was not a part of Creation. God made a perfect world. There was no illness, disease or death. All of this came after Adam and Eve sinned. Nor do I think that on that very day measles, mumps, polio and smallpox came into existence. Our sovereign God isn’t caught off guard by a “new disease”, but just like the antibodies in our bodies that “evolve” to fight off new germs that they haven’t seen, so disease has “evolved” to fight back. And as long as there is sin in the world, disease will never be defeated.

What I have found fascinating is how each disease is so different. One is contagious between people, another is not. One causes a rash, another has symptoms that can’t even be detected. Medication will help to cure a person of one, while rest and fluids is all that will help in the recovery of another. Most interesting are the ones (chickenpox, measles, mumps, polio) that once you have them you become immune to them. A God-given natural defense to the effects of sin.


It’s a rather odd comment to say I have found God’s creativity in the midst of disease – but I have. Just as God made each human being unique, so disease is unique and effects people differently. Sadly, what a disease can do to a body is just as amazing as what the antibodies of the body do to fight it off and heal. And all of that is proof that we didn’t come about in some Big Bang. There is a Creator. There is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment