Friday, March 20, 2009

Being one of those “crazy” people who like to wander around old graveyards and newer cemeteries, you see a lot of interesting things. People seem to have all kinds of creative ideas concerning the stones that will one day bear their names. Epitaphs are always my favorite. At times the engravings – especially on the newer stones – are quite pretty. Often it is the very shape of the stone that is intriguing. I have many shapes and sizes, but none quite like the one in the cemetery down the street from my house. I can’t imagine what inspired it:








1 comment:

  1. Wow! Either it was a personal joke with the fella who received this monument/tombstone. or his family had to much money on their hands?

    My sister and I like to look at cemeteries. The one here is interesting - so many short lives, probably b/c the conditions were so isolated and difficult with the mining and no water etc. Every so often one pops out as curious and I just wonder what the rest of their story was.

    ReplyDelete