Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Reading

It’s no secret that I am an avid reader. I have been ever since I learned to read. And I hope to pass on that love to Emry.

Emry does like to read. I think. It’s a bit hard to tell, but since her vision has improved she does seem to enjoy the pictures. And I enjoy the reading, so I guess it’s a fair swap.

We read every morning together. It’s been fun to pull out the childhood Bible story book I had. My dad read this book to me so often I can’t even tell you how many times I have heard the stories, although the taped up binding may be a good indication. I had them all memorized by their pictures. Now Emry and I read one story every morning, having made our way through Genesis and will start on Exodus tomorrow.

Some mornings we also read other stories. Emry has a wonderful selection of books in baskets in her room. Some of them are mine while others have been given to her as gifts. Yesterday we read Goodnight Moon, a book I once had in paperback. She really seemed to enjoy that one, although she added her own thoughts and opinions the entire time I read. (She is “talking” a great deal now.) Then we read Sleeping Beauty from her fairy tale book. A family at church gave her a beautiful book of fairy tales and another book full of nursery rhymes, It is safe to say Mama is enjoying these books as much as she is.

And that is what I find is the most fun about reading to Emry. I mean, I can’t remember the last time I read Goodnight Moon. Or The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse. And I struggled to bring to memory all the words of “There was an Old Woman who Lived in a Shoe”. But I can still tell you every Bible story in that book by it’s pictures.

So now I will close and enjoy a few minutes of reading to Emry as she falls asleep. Today we are reading The Tortoise and the Hare. When’s the last time you read that?

No comments:

Post a Comment