Friday, July 17, 2015

The Life of a Firstborn

Those of us who are firstborns know that it’s true: we have more pictures in our photo albums than our younger siblings. If the fact that we have two hundred pictures before we’re a year old while they have ten isn’t obvious enough for us, our younger siblings are quick to point that fact out. Even after decades. It’s a sore point of family conversations about being the middle or youngest child versus the oldest. My siblings don’t let me live it down – as if I was the one holding the camera and taking “selfies” (before the word even came into existence).

Today I’m not sure how that balances out. For today we carry cameras with us nearly 24/7 thanks to smart phones. Today I capture nearly every moment of Emry’s life with the phone in my pocket. She has two hundred pictures (or more!) and she’s just three months old. Not to mention short video clips of her just being cute. I guess if we have a second child I’ll find out how quick I am to pull out my phone, but I imagine it will break almost even. Convenience makes it easy.

But what isn’t easy is getting those pictures printed. Ed can post them on Facebook. I put them on this blog. And it’s easy to text them to any adoring grandparent, aunt or uncle the moment they’re taken. Nearly everyone “important” gets to see her newest cute gesture. And while I have getting some of these hundreds of pictures printed for a scrapbook or album in the back of my head, I don’t rush them off to Shutterfly the next week. Storing them on my phone is the 21st Century equivalent of my mom’s pile of film canisters in need of development on her desk. Very back burner.

But I realized a couple of weeks ago that I need to be better about printing pictures. For neither grandmother has a smart phone. Grandma Sturm could look at Grandpa Sturm’s phone. And Grandma Camus gets to see her every month or less. But when my mom pointed out she has no pictures of Emry in the house or to take to her friend’s, I realized I had failed in this area of being a new mother. So, Emry and I went to Target and got a few printed for the short haul. Meanwhile, I need to look through the hundreds of images on my laptop and see if I should get any of them printed. Which will only take an hour or so…

Sometimes I actually miss film.


No, we’re not smelling something bad…she does this when she’s tired and ready to fall asleep.




My little personal trainer. This look is from after we got home from our run and says, “Why have we stopped? I said ten miles, not four!”

No comments:

Post a Comment