Tuesday, September 20, 2016

To Katey

Today is the celebration of that day 34 years ago when I became a big sister. One of the biggest and most important days of my life. It changed my world forever.

I was so delighted when you arrived – you were much better than my two dolls named “Katy” and “Kate”. (Mmh…wonder where those names came from?) For, in time, you could play along beside me. Ride bikes, dance in the rain, take care of our little doll families, defend our back yard from pirates. We didn’t always like the same games…and we didn’t always get along. But we’re sisters – and became best friends.

It once dawned on me when studying siblings in the Bible that brothers and sisters can bring the best times into your life – but they can also hurt you more than anyone else in the world. Often it isn’t intentional. Sisters are not identical, even twins. We had different interests, different gifts, different activities. You were the bluebird – I was the sparrow. Taking different roads was just bound to happen, but it hurt worse than anything I’ve ever felt.

Even today our paths are different. As ever, you continue to be musical and artistic, friendly with days of full of activity. I still covet moments of quiet with my book and my jobs will always have more spreadsheets than color. You chase around two little boys, one who puts toys in order before they are played with and sleeps buried under all the blankets (now who does that remind you of?) I have a little girl who kicks every blanket off so sometimes I’m up 3 or 4 times a night to cover her back up and oohs and aahs at frilly dresses, colorful flowers and nearly every aisle in Michaels. (Did we get our kids mixed up somehow?) Difference ever abound…

And yet, we will ever be sisters. We will ever know things no one else around us knows. We will laugh at inside jokes and beat the crowd at Catch Phrase because, sometimes, we just know what the other is thinking. And my life will ever be richer and better because of you.

Happy Birthday, Katey!



No comments:

Post a Comment