Saturday, December 29, 2018

2018...the End

I have to confess that contemplation on what 2018 held and what 2019 will be has not been given a lot of time. I finally did get my Christmas letter written (and then promptly ran out of ink in the printer so the envelopes are addressed and ready while I await the arrival of ink…) and that seemed to be about all the contemplation I could pull off. I feel like 2018 has ended in such a whirlwind that the other 75% of it remains a dim vision of almost another life.

It’s been a year of ups and downs, but then, aren’t most years? I don’t know anyone who rides a whole year out on a high. There are probably many people who ride a whole year out on a low, but then I have to wonder if they simply can’t see the highs. After all, what is life on this earth truly mean if there is no future Hope – One Higher than me to look up at when I am low.

And as far as 2019 goes…well, if this past week has been any indication, it’s already got the dreamlike vision of ups and downs. Changes no one could foresee. Wrenches thrown for apparently no reason at all. Makes me nervous, leery and a bit afraid to face tomorrow. But with two kids bounding out of bed every morning ready to take on their day, one simply must face tomorrow.

So, today I will make two simple statements as 2018 comes to a close and 2019 slips in upon it:

God is faithful. He was in 2018. He will be in 2019.

And all the Christmas things will get put away. All the new toys will find a home. All the boxes will finally find a place to stay for this new chapter in our life. Perhaps in 2018…more likely in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment