Saturday, June 29, 2019

Chicago

This weekend Ed and I went to Chicago for an overnight trip, taking in the sights and sounds of the Windy City. Chicago is a common destination around here. Just over two hours away, it’s the only truly large metro area around. But let me just say Chicago has never been a destination on my bucket list. I’ve driven around its confines and flown into it often and those distant views were enough to satisfy my little interest in it. And while I will say I was rather surprised that I enjoyed it more than I thought, I’ll also add that perhaps the residents should have just let it die after the 1871 fire. It certainly didn’t excite me enough that I have a desire to visit again.

Chicago prides itself in its resilience. In the fact that it reinstated itself as a bustling City within years of burning to the ground. It’s proud of its tall buildings, lakefront property and historic sports teams. It also quickly sweeps its crime rate under the rug, ignoring its roots or effects. And I got so sick of rainbow flags, I wanted to sit down and cry. It was also interesting to note in the twenty-two miles we walked, I saw only two churches (Catholic and liberal Presbyterian) and a Jewish meeting place. And while I am sure even Chicago has Christians, I left wondering why God didn’t rain down fire upon it. I certainly would.

Despite all that, Ed and I had a good time roaming around, exploring a new place and taking some time away from life and the kids (who were happily exhausting Grandpa and Grandma). 

 Wrigley Field – it’s hard to see, but the infamous Ivy Wall is there.


We took a tour, which was probably the best part of the trip. But be careful – goats are not to be mentioned!

The Navy Pier.

Sun breaking through storm clouds over the city.

Deep dish pizza, of course! (We also tried a Chicago hotdog.)

The city at our feet…or below it from the Sky View at Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower).

The Bean. Don’t ask. I can’t explain it. I’m not sure anyone can.

No comments:

Post a Comment