Saturday, June 19, 2021

Off with his foot!

I’m not sure which I wish more: that Ethan had been born without feet or that his feet will last as long as his lifespan. The latter, I suppose. For if God had not blessed him with feet, my little rascal would find some way to damage his legs. Meanwhile, I think I do need to start praying his feet will last as long as his life.

 

Ethan was two years old when he first hurt his feet badly. I was pouring boiling hot water over ant hills outside our house, quite sure that both of my children were at a safe distance from getting even splashed. But, quick as a whip, Ethan stuck one of his feet out and hot water washed over his toes. Praise God he had his crocs on, so parts of his foot were protected and he only suffered a few blisters. Also praise God we were just about to go to the pool, so he splashed around for over an hour in cold water. Still, it took several weeks of bandages, aloe, and other ointments for the feet to heal.

 

A year later, he’d jump off the swingset at my parents without bothering to “look before he leaped” and land badly. After icing it and keeping it elevated for the afternoon, he still refused to put any weight on it. Just to assure myself, we took him to the “doc-in-a-box” to make sure it wasn’t broken. Thankfully it was only a bad sprain. Within a couple of days, he was fine.

 

Yesterday, he got a splinter in his foot. He’s not partial to shoes anyhow, and when he’s running around in his swimsuit getting in and out of our little pool, he’s not about to stop and put on shoes every time he gets out of the pool. Well, he chased after Emry and our neighbor girl up onto the neighbor’s wooden porch, and…got a rather good sized splinter in the bottom of his foot. I tried to get it out, but it was deeper than I could do alone. Since Ed was at work, all I could do was bandage it with a baking soda paste and pray that would bring it further to the top over night. While it did, it still took Ed and I two twenty-minutes sessions today and lots of screaming and crying on his part to get it out.

 

So you can see why I may have concerns that his feet will last his lifespan. Or maybe I need to go back to school and become a podiatrist… 


Yeah, I don’t see that happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment