Wednesday, March 30, 2022

My Lack of Education

I remember when I was growing up my mom tried many of the things we were interested in. Granted most of the classes she took or particular things she learned related to Katey who was forever trying some new craft.  I remember feeling that was unfair and yet also admitting I didn’t have any interests she could participate in. (My constant scribbling seemed to leave her scratching her head, although she would have read things had I given them to her. Which I didn’t. I didn’t show anyone.) In return, she shared her love. I suffered through sewing one very awkward skirt. Somehow I ducked out of other similar pursuits. Probably because she was busy with other kids and I simply didn’t ask. Why? I had no interest.

 

But then the day came in my mid/late twenties when I arrived home from work or something on an afternoon when she would have various moms and their young daughters over for introductions to sewing, quilting, crocheting and similar projects. That day was crocheting and there were several little girls scattered throughout our living area with crochet needles and bright colors of yarn.

 

Being a little shorthanded as most mothers had more than one daughter or didn’t know how to crochet themselves and only a couple of my other sisters were present to help, she stopped me as I came through:

 

“Melissa, can you help Madison?”

 

“Mom, I don’t know how to crochet.”

 

“You don’t?” she asked in surprise.

 

I shook my head.

 

“Didn’t I teach you?”

 

Another shake of the head.

 

“How did I miss that?”

 

I think she felt she had failed as a mother. I didn’t find my education lacking in the least.

 

Until now.

 

One of our pastor’s eldest daughters has discovered knitting and crocheting. Over the winter, she was working on projects as if the world would soon run out of yarn. On more than one occasion, Emry was around as she was working on those projects. And on more than one occasion, Emry asked me if she could learn to knit. I responded that I don’t the first thing about knitting, but she could ask Grandma. Which she did. And just last night, Grandma brought her a pair of knitting needles and yarn, teaching her a basic stitch while I was at a meeting at church. And now?

 

Well, now I need to learn how to knit. Because Emry can’t remember the stitch exactly. And YouTube was no help. And I haven’t the slightest idea how to even hold the needles, let alone twist yarn around them.

 

Guess I didn’t miss out on learning how to knit after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment