Friday, April 3, 2009

Whirlwinds and Tornados

I was at the bank on Tuesday wiring some money, so I had to wait a few minutes for everything to be put in order. While I waited, I watched a little bit of the news that was on television. The weather forecaster was talking about the tornado that was hitting Florida. I felt he might be talking about my life.

This week has been a ride and a half. When I woke up Monday morning, I thought I had tennis lessons. Then I needed to drop a deposit at the bank, run an errand, drop by the library and give my sister Grace her first driving lesson on a stick. An unplanned stop at a coffee ship giving out free lattes was about the only “adventure” I thought I would have that day. I intended to go home, work on my family tree, maybe write a little, send out a birthday card, and get on the internet yet again to look for a new car. Something that was quickly becoming the daily headache of my life.

Okay, for all my usual complacency I have my moments of being stubborn. One of them has been in this area of finding a new vehicle. I want a small SUV with a stick shift. No, I am not crazy. (Even though people look at me as if I am when I tell them that.) It’s what I like, okay? And six years ago when I was looking for my first car, I prayed the Lord would give me a stick shift. And He did. And as my God hasn’t changed in six years, I didn’t see why that was such a crazy request this time around. Granted, it limits your search by 75%, but that’s a bad thing. For shopping for cars is not something I particularly enjoy.

Well, I found a car. In Texas. I sent the link to my grandfather who had offered to look at cars down there for me. He went to Arlington that very day, sent me pictures, told me about the things he looked at and learned, and said it was a very nice vehicle. After talking to my dad about it that night, we agreed it looked good and was a go. So, down to Arlington my grandfather and sister Sally went on Tuesday to look over a few more things and negotiate the price. By supper time, I had me a new car sitting in my grandfather’s driveway. I fly down on Tuesday with my sister Grace to make a short visit, put a few things in order and then drive my new Hyundai Tucson back to Indiana Thursday and Friday. Isn’t God awesome?

In the midst of all this, I got a phone call. It was from one of the schools I had sent my resume to back in February. The headmaster wished to set up an interview with me for Wednesday. Words wouldn’t describe the state that put me in! I was so nervous as one o’clock approached on Wednesday. When the phone rang, I took a deep breath and answered it. The headmaster of the school was very friendly and enthusiastic. He put me right at ease, and we had a very nice interview/conversation. I would say it was a success, although I have a couple of weeks to wait and see if I move on to “step two”. Half the time I’m very happy with having gotten this far and am ready to take on 4th graders tomorrow. The other half of my time is spent wondering what in the world I have gotten myself into!

The Proverbs very wisely states “for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth”. Amen to that!

1 comment: