Monday, June 14, 2010

Okay, I am taking this brief moment at work to take a deep breath and ponder on what I’ve been doing all day – besides running circles…

Of course, Mondays can tend to be a bit dizzy. It just doesn’t help when you get into work and the internet doesn’t work. That means I get to call my dear friends over at Verizon and have a nice chat with them. Which means an hour and a half gone from my day before one techie (who doesn’t speak English as a first language) decides it’s not Verizon’s problem and puts me in touch with our router’s tech support. No one there speaks English as a first language, and so I am losing my temper even faster. The problem? Well, it’s not the router and so I take a deep breath and re-call Verizon. This time – praise God – I get a guy who speaks English with a nice, slow Southern draw. That I can take. (I am fluent in both Southern and New England.) And somewhere along the way, the internet simply decides to work again. For now, of course.

And while I was busy chatting up the morning with my Verizon friends, a social worker from a hospital calls who wants to get a patient on service ASAP. That turned into quite a workout as the patient is dying and the family simply wants him to die in his own bed. Somehow, between three or four of us working on this, everything has fallen into place and the patient is on his way home. I’m not quite sure how that all came together.

I ended up with two major projects right off the bat this morning, which always makes for a longer day. Not to mention a few other things that needed to be done as it is a Monday. But I think I got everything that’s necessary done. Hopefully I’ll figure that out tomorrow when I get over my dizziness.

And tonight I’m off to tennis. It will be terribly hot, although there is a “breeze”. (Which means very little in Texas except the tree branches sway.) But it will feel great to hit balls all over the place, sweat half to death, and return to Grandpa’s exhausted.

Not up to much else this week. Grandpa gets back from Florida tomorrow afternoon. I have my writer’s critique group Wednesday evening. I’ll sweat a lot, for it will be in the 90s all week long without a drop of rain. Guess I could watch the lawn turn brown. I will purchase tickets to South Dakota this week, where I will fly in September to meet my family for a vacation. Possibly get Grandpa tickets to Indiana to visit my family in July. And there’s Father’s Day to get ready for. My aunt, uncle and cousin will come over to celebrate it with Grandpa. Of course there are always chores to do around the house. I have a good book I want to read, and I really need to do some writing.

So, yes, it could turn out to be a full week. I just hope work slows down a bit. I always find it nice to know what I’ve actually accomplished in a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment