Friday, July 30, 2010

"Let God be God." ~ Martin Luther

I don't know about you, but when I'm faced with a difficult problem I pray. Only problem is, while I'm praying I'm racking my mind as I try to figure out how to solve my dilemma. I've never given it much thought, but I guess that defeats the point of praying.

It's funny how difficulties arise in our lives that we never thought possible. In a million years, we could not dream up the trials God throws in our path. If we could, we would be the authors of our lives instead of having the Author. Which is why I think I find so much comfort in writing: I design the start, middle and "happily ever after". At least, I like to think I do.

But our lives aren't that way. Things pop up and we haven't the slightest idea how to deal with them. We muddle through. We kick, we scream, we cry, we rack our minds for inventive solutions. And then God blows us out of the water. It's almost as if He's sitting in Heaven going, "You did ask for help, Melissa. Did you not think I would do something?"

I was reminded again this week of two Bible stories that have meant so much to me over the past few years. The first one involves the prophet Elisha. When his fellow prophets were building a place for them to reside, one of the lost a borrowed ax head in the river near by. He cried out for Elisha to help. Maybe he thought Elisha would part the river and he could walk out to it on dry ground. Or Elisha could swim the depths and get it. I don't think he imagined what did happen. As the Scripture says, "The iron did swim."

The second story is the saints in Damascus. They knew Saul was on his way to persecute them: throw them in prison, separate them from their loved ones, possibly even stone them to death. And they prayed. But I can't imagine some of them didn't start packing their belongings to leave Damascus or search for hiding places lest Saul come knocking at their door. And while they prayed, they probably made some suggestions along the lines of Saul having a heart attack on the way, the Romans arresting him or his getting lost. I wonder if any of them thought God would meet Saul along the way, save his soul and turn him into the greatest apostle of all.

Somewhere in the midst of my thick skull, I know God is God. He is over all, in all and works through all. He knows my trials, my heartaches, my tears. He doesn't need my suggestions as I walk through my valleys. He knows the way to my mountaintop - the very best way. And He's smiling, "Just wait, Melissa. It will be worth it. I promise."

Let God be God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment