Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Little Respect

Whenever I travel, I get caught up on things going on in the world I didn't know anything about. I'm never sure if that's good or not. I mean "happiness is bliss". On the other hand, I don't like to consider myself as being uniformed. On this trip, I am learning about what is going on the world of American's greatest idol: football.

Brief recap: the NFL's refs are on strike. And as no bargain has been reached but the season has begun, replacements are necessary. As I understand it, they have decided not to use refs from Division 1 college ball because they don't want a conflict of interests, headaches with those refs or to interfere with their football season. So, they are using refs from lower college divisions and even high schools.

In our household as we played sports we were always taught to obey the refs. Yes, they make bad calls. Yes, you get upset at them. But on the court or field, their word is final. You don't argue and you don't take on a bad attitude in the middle of the game. If a coach wants to protest a call, that's his business and the proper way to do that is with respect. Apparently, though, once you reach the pros everything your parents taught you goes out the window. Not to mention just honest respect. At least that's what I have witnessed in the NFL games this weekend. Coaches haranguing the refs for bad calls (even if the guys watching the replays uphold them) and players trying to get away with murder on the field.

Now I'm not saying the replacements refs are making brilliant calls on the field. I witnessed a couple of bad ones this weekend. But I also witnessed them loosing control of the game because the coaches and players took an "anything goes" approach. And to be honest, it doesn't reflect well on the coaches and players. I'm not one of those people who thinks NFL players are the greatest heroes in America, but at least be decent. Do you honestly want all the kids who idolize you to act as disrespectful as you do?

These players and coaches ought to consider this: without refs there is no NFL season. So, take your pick: refs who have a learning curve and are going to make some honest bad calls or bench it. And since I'm sure none of you million-dollar-a-season men want to loose all that money, stop acting like your five years old and have just been told you can't have a candy bar. Grow up. And show a little respect.


No comments:

Post a Comment