Friday, December 7, 2012

Traditions: The History

Last night I attended a Christmas party with Haley at her church. Before the main speaker got up, a few women shared the Christmas traditions their families enjoy. It got me to thinking about what I would say if I got up in front of 200 women to share my traditions (after I got over the shaking...which I probably wouldn't). Instead, I'll share them on my blog (and won't shake).

First of all, I think it would be appropriate to share a little bit of history. It's safe enough to say that traditions come from my dad's Catholic/German/Polish side of my family - not the Scot Presbyterians on my mom's side. In Dad's family Christmas means tradition. From the earliest age, if we spent Christmas with that side of the family, I remember the wafer Grandma brought out. She and Grandpa would break it in half, then share those halfs with my dad and his sisters, who would then share those parts with my mom and any uncles who had married into the family. When I got a bit older, I was included, then my siblings and cousins. I think the object was to represent sharing and unity, but all I remember as a kid was the wafers didn't taste like anything and after sharing pieces with everyone in the room all you got was a wad of sweaty wafer in your hand. I have to say that I think I missed the point.

I would almost say it was a tradition to open our presents at Grandma's house a different way every year. From everyone at once, to taking turns, to the adults first and kids after...I can't remember them all. But Grandma never seemed to find a way she liked it.

Grandma's decorations, the tier of cookies (I loved that tradition as a kid - I never had to ask for a cookie, just take one!), Grandma and Grandpa sending us a box full of tupperware containing cookies and nuts, Christmas Eve dinner (yuck on the pickled herring), a gingerbread house...everything they did was traditional. It had to be. My grandmother would die before giving up her traditions.

And what of my mom's side of the family? Umm...even my mom will say that aside from the oyster casserole (which she hates, so that didn't come into our family), they didn't really have any.  Being Scot Presbyterian, I imagine my long distant ancestors didn't even celebrate Christmas. Too pagan.

I think the history of my family goes far in explaining a series I'll write during the next few weeks on my family's traditions at Christmas. And why, if God ever gives me a family, I'll have traditions. I guess they're a part of who I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment