Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Oh, the Things you will Learn!


I suppose it is safe to say that in every job I’ve had, I learned things I didn’t think I would. It would also be safe to say that I knew in coming to Minnesota to work in a camp full time, I would learn things I never thought about pertaining to camp. But I must say that defibrillators and elevators were certainly not on the radar.

I got introduced to the defibrillator (AED) last week. I was shown the box where it was kept, mostly to be informed that the key to turn off the fire alarms is also in that box. (Only to learn today that the new regulation is to let the fire alarm drive everyone crazy until the fire department turns it off – better safe than sorry!) It did cross my mind when I saw it that I’m not at all up on CPR. I’m still not, but I do know how to use the AED. Mostly.

At staff meeting, we had a crash course on it. I felt a bit nervous until Aaron said the thing is so simple to use, he would trust his seven-year-old daughter to use it on him. (Thinking about that now, I’m not sure he thought that all the way through. For she could probably use the machine, but would he trust her to use the razor to shave his chest first?) However, he is right. You turn the machine on and it walks you through every single step with instructions loud enough to be heard over the panic that will no doubt be ringing in your ears. So, while I think I could manage…let’s hope I never have to use it.

The next thing I learned was how to save someone stuck in the elevator. Now that was fascinating. First of all, the people stuck will call out and get Phil, the maintenance guy (as the phone is directed to his cell).  And he will ask, “Are you all right? And are you my children?” (More on that later.) And then he (or anyone else on staff if he’s not around) will do the following: get help so one person can talk to the stuck people while the other manipulates the machine. Find out what floor the people are on and assure them he will get them down by doing some simple things. First, turn off the power. (Don’t worry – the lights inside don’t go off.) And then open the tank and turn the knob so the tank fills, releasing the water in the hydraulic system, which will slowly lower the cage just below the ground floor. After that is done, there is a key which goes into a hole in the outside door of the elevator. By turning it, it hooks onto something which allows you to slide it open. There is then a latch you push, allowing you to pull open the cage door. Be sure to tell the people inside to watch their step as the cage is about six inches below the floor. After such a heroic exploit, call the elevator company to have it checked out before you turn it back on.

The first time Phil had the privilege of doing this was just after the machine was installed 15 or so years ago. He got a call from the office saying some people were stuck inside. He said he panicked a bit because it was the first time this had ever happened. But he calmed down, walked through the steps and slid open the door. There he found not “some” people but 26 of them. 26 young people who decided to find out how much weight the elevator would hold. And among those people? One of his sons…and one of his daughters.

And so begins my education at Camp Lebanon. Data entry, receipts, phone calls, checks and balances…I’ve worked in many offices and know those things. Now I can add to my resume AEDs and saving people from elevators. I wonder what kind of job that could get me…

No comments:

Post a Comment