Saturday, March 16, 2013

Minnesota: From the Perspective of a Nomad, Part 3

Winter. I think next week contains the first day of spring. And Minnesota will still be covered with snow. We got some yesterday and there's more coming on Monday. While everyone up here keeps saying they're ready for spring, I'm happy it's still winter!

Winter up here contains two major things: snowmobiling and ice fishing. Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes. And every single one of the 10,000 has ice fishers on it. You see them out there, their trucks pulled out on the ice, or tents set up, or even trailers. They live out their all weekend, some of them all week. I've never seen anything quite like that. And while I wouldn't want to spend my time out on the lakes in the cold temperatures catching fish, it's neat to see.

As for snowmobiling, I've seen those quite a bit. But not hundreds of them. Speeding along the roads, parked at restaurants for a bite to eat, pulled into gas stations to fill up before they go out again. It's enough to make me want to purchase one of my own. And spend all day Saturday riding. Like today. While a bit cold, it was bright and sunny with fresh snow. Would have been a lovely way to spend a day off.

I think the funniest thing I've seen is a recreation sign. One of those brown and white signs pointing to a park, or campsite, or place to play. I've seen many as we all have. But this one was new: a kid on a snowtube. It points the way to a good place to snowtube. Like at camp. Although I haven't been yet. Maybe after the next snow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment