Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Scrapbooking/Quilting Retreats: The End


Well, as of tomorrow at noon, the spring quilting season is over. For me, it has been a learning experience in many ways. The top four things I learned: 

  1. Flexibility
  2. Don’t plan on getting much done
  3. I’m rather ashamed of my own gender
  4. There’s nothing that feels so good as saying, “No!”


The first thing I learned doesn’t need much elaboration. Women come at the last minute, or decide not to come for whatever reason. They add a day or drop one. They forget towels. The second lesson attaches itself easily to lesson one. There were moments when I wondered exactly how many times I needed to change a door sign. Or how I forgot so-and-so’s nametag. Or lost ladies as I rearranged spreadsheets. And since I had to do all that, I could just about plan the pile of registrations coming in the mail everyday would be a week old before I got them into the database. Not exactly the way I like to work, but flexibility is one of my lifelong lessons. Quilting has been another classroom.

I’m not sure how successful I am, but I’ve tried hard in my life to be low-maintenance. In a large family, it’s almost necessity. And my independent nature helps. But I learned this month that 90% of women are anything but low-maintenance. There were times I wanted to say to one of the ladies, “Really? Would you like me to tie your shoes, too?” I mean, I get the whole concept that these ladies are on retreat and we are there to serve them. But, I hate to break it to them, not one of them is the queen of England. Or even Princess Kate. It made me feel ashamed of my sex and wonder how high-maintenance I can be. I have to also say I can’t wait til Dads ‘n Lads the first weekend of May. For one, I don’t even have to do registration. I have to make a list and do door signs. After that, men don’t care as long as you feed them. And even better, they don’t care what you feed them.

The last one happened late last week. A lady called to say she was arriving at this last quilt session on Sunday and was to leave on Tuesday. Could she possibly extend her stay til Wednesday? “No, ma’am,” I told her as apologetically as I could possibly sound. “The retreat ends on Tuesday.” That was very hard to do when I was happily shouting inside, “No! You have to go home! Quilt is over! And I’m going on vacation!” It never felt so good to say, “NO!”

So, quilt is over and I am truly going on vacation. First, Lisa is taking Andrea and I out all day Wednesday. We’re going to eat and shop…and call it a work day. On Thursday afternoon, I fly to New Hampshire for a long weekend which I will spend mostly with my new nephew (okay, yes, my sister will be around, too) and over at Allyson’s with her most wonderful children. That will be my retreat. And I don’t anything at all except time to chase kids around and sit holding a baby. All of which is much better than quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment