Friday, August 1, 2014

Landscape Architecture

Sometimes I wonder what people think when they look at my resume. Although, apparently, I have decided that an office is where I belong, do they wonder if I simply can’t choose what sort of office? Or with all the states listed, they might think I’m running from the law. If I had my choice, I’d work at a camp again. And I’d move back to New Hampshire. But “My ways are not your ways” the Lord tells the prophet Isaiah. Amen to that.

Believe me, landscape architecture is not where I thought I would land (no pun intended). I’ve always considered it quite fortunate that I didn’t kill one plant I was given as a gift inside a week – it took a whole month! But now I might have killed a plant here in the office this past week… Carol, my boss, is in Las Vegas on vacation so among my tasks has been to water the plants. I thought myself pretty successful until I watered hers this morning and found tiny white insects crawling in the soil – tiny white insects that don’t drown. Being a little apprehensive about tiny white insects since a recent lice scare, I watered the plant and then put it outside. I’m not taking any chances.

Thankfully, the architects don’t ask me for plant advice. They know plants by their Latin names. And they know where to put them, or how to arrange them, or how to fix problems with them. Not to mention everything they know about stone paths, piping, lighting, fences and walls and how to make an open field a breathtaking landscape people will pay to see. I’m just glad my husband keeps the lawn mowed so the neighbors don’t complain.

Thankfully people who can do amazing things on computers and arrange flowerbeds in shapes need other people who have Excel spreadsheet formulas memorized and can type 100 words a minute. Because that’s what I do. It’s not very colorful (unless you’re formulating Excel cells to turn colors when a number is off). And it’s hard to type 100 WPM when I’m not quite use to landscape architect language. (Like the word “punch” referring to a tool that is used for forming, embossing or cutting versus something I drink or hitting my brother.) But I’m good at it. And, funny enough, find satisfaction in the order of it all.

 So, here I am learning about something new. And while I miss what I did just two months ago, it’s good. And you’ve got to admire people who can take God’s created beauty and shape to show His glory even more.


Pictures? Company website: www.mtrla.com

No comments:

Post a Comment