Saturday, September 20, 2014

Memories of…Katey!

They say a person’s earliest memory is often the birth of their first sibling. In my case, this is true. I have a memory of visiting Katey in the hospital, looking at her through the glass that separated the infants from us curious toddlers. But not to worry, Mom and Dad soon brought her home and no glass could keep me from touching her. Or carrying her around. But I was only trying to help Mom who was running Katey’s bath and needed someone to carry the infant to her. Right?

Katey’s arrival certainly made an impact on my life. My two dolls were named Kate and Katy. (Please don’t ask what happened to Kate…one day I shall have to see a psychologist about that.) I slept on the floor of her room – who wants a room of their own when they can share? I had a built-in playmate. And someone to blame things on. To think I could have gotten away with little Katey taking the blame for the coloring of the wall if my conscious hadn’t set in.

Katey and I spent hours in our swimsuits playing the rain. Or flipping around the swing set. Or taking care of our dolls and cooking meals in our little kitchen. (And, yes, mixing together concoctions from stuff in the bathroom we shouldn’t have.) But even as kids, we were very different. Katey didn’t want to be Mary Lou Retton or play library all the time. And I didn’t find throwing imaginary coconut bombs down upon oncoming pirates a game to play every single day. We had regular fights on Fridays when we had to clean our room (some much worse than others – I could be ruthless), and she found organizing everything before it could be played with just a little annoying. (What?!?!?) But, all in all, we were best friends.

It would be easy to say my quirks rubbed off on her more than hers did on me. After all, wasn’t it thanks to all my pre-playing sorting that she kept her chalk art box in such neat order? On the other hand, I never could look at a blank slate and make it into a lovely piece of art. But she did lead me to the joy of writing. When I just didn’t have the patience to wait for her to write the next page of her story (because two-thirds of the page had to be an illustration and she wouldn’t write the next page until she had completed the drawing), I just finished writing the story. And I haven’t stopped writing since.

Growing up and chasing after what interested us moved us apart. Ever artistic, Katey followed music and art. A born organizer, I can’t seem to find a way out of an office. I moved around. She married and stayed in New Hampshire. And now has a little boy, who when I sit on the floor to play with, is like looking back 30 years to another red head I sat on the floor and played with. He reminds me of the little sister who has changed my life in so many ways. And, mostly, I’m glad.


Happy 32nd birthday, Katey!

No comments:

Post a Comment