Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Education of Edward Camus

Well, marriage is an education. I have learned things I didn’t know anything about…or even thought about. Some things I’m still learning (like there’s someone else to consider in decisions…being single for 34 years gives a lot of practice in just making up your own mind and going at something!). But I’m also teaching.

First, I took Ed blueberry picking this summer. A couple of weekends ago, I took him apple picking for the first time. We found a smaller orchard north of us and off we went one Saturday to explore. It wasn’t the type of orchard I was use to. The couple who own it have trees growing throughout their fields in no particular lines. They operate out of a small barn, weighing the apples in a brown paper bag. And they deal in cash only. We had a good time picking the three different types that were in that day. We got enough apples to fill a crisper in the fridge. In a couple of weeks, we’ll need to pick again – just because I intend to freeze some.

But along with apple picking comes the Sturm family tradition: apple dumplings! You must, Must, MUST make apple dumplings from the first apples you pick for the season. Admittedly, it took me several days to get around to it. (These days I’m just not always up to doing anything in the kitchen that involves food…or being near it.) Now we have a few left in the pan in the fridge, but they’ll be eaten soon! It was Ed’s first time to have apple dumplings. He approves.


The seasons for introducing him to the picking of fruit are coming to an end, but we have lots of experiences yet to go. I mean, exactly how many kinds of Christmas cookies MUST the Sturm family make over the holidays? And there’s the tree that must be put up when Navy plays Army. Besides all that, we’re both about to be educated together in Baby 101. Crib, stroller, onesies…we’ll see what we find this weekend at one of the many baby consignment “shows” that go on around Pittsburgh this time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment