Monday, December 8, 2014

At the Post Office One Day

“Did Adam get out of the trap?” Mary, the postal lady, asked the older woman there to get her mail. Concern filled her voice.

Now that’s a question to perk anyone’s interest, and it perked mine as I stood in line waiting my turn. There were a few other people hanging about…the Bellevue post office is like the barber shop in Mayberry. I wondered if Adam was the woman’s son and what sort of hunting accident he had gotten himself into.

“Oh, yes,” the woman answered. “So-and-so and so-and-so got him out. But they left before the firemen and paramedics arrived.”

Okay, I wondered to myself. What sort of friends are these? Of course, hunters are in a class of their own.

“And Charlene is having a baby,” the woman added.

I wondered if Charlene was her daughter.

“She is?” Mary responded happily.

“Yes,” the woman replied, “but Billy doesn’t know it’s his.”

The light in my head began to dawn…then broke out in full sunshine with Mary’s next comment.

“Does Charlene know that Adam’s back?”

“No,” the woman said. “She’s seen him, but she doesn’t recognize him. He had plastic surgery.”

Soap opera! I started laughing as the woman gathered her mail, answered a few more questions about what was going on in her soap opera world and left.

“What was that? General Hospital?” one of the men hanging about asked Mary.

“No. The Young and the Restless. She knows everything about it.”

I laughed all the way home. Such is a trip to a small suburb post office!


*if I got these soap stars character’s names and situations a bit wrong, please excuse me – the only young and restless I know is the one moving about in my womb!

No comments:

Post a Comment