Thursday, February 12, 2015

1983: My Third Birthday

Perhaps it would be fun to tell of my first birthday when I got my own Mickey Mouse cake. But I honestly don’t remember anything about it, only things from it. (Like my Big Bird stocking cap.) I don’t imagine most people remember their first birthday, though. Or their second. My memories begin after that, about the time my sister Katey was born when I was two-and-a-half. So, the first birthday I remember is my third one.

We lived in The Colony, Texas. At that time, The Colony was just neighborhoods built on the flat land of Texas that had probably been owned by some rancher (or two or three) at one time. Nothing like the enveloped part of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex it is today. My parents tell me you could tell what sort of social class each person in The Colony belonged to by which of the three typical home styles they owned. I don’t remember our house, but we certainly weren’t at the top of those classes.

Truth be told, I don’t know remember my third birthday that clearly. I don’t recall what kind of cake I had (pictures show a clown cake that read “Sis” – my nickname then). My neighborhood friend Desi came over. (I do remember her – red hair, owned more Strawberry Shortcake things than I did and I later named my first cat after her.) And we hung balloons. That is what I remember: the balloons.

No, there was nothing special about them. No helium. Nothing fancy. My dad blew them up. I helped hang them. And learned from my dad a very interesting fact of science: if you rub a balloon on your head for a while the friction will not only make your hair stand on end but it will stick the balloon to the wall. And when you’re three, that is WAY cool!


Me and Desi.

No comments:

Post a Comment