Tuesday, February 17, 2015

1991: My Eleventh Birthday

There is something terribly cruel about loving winter, having a winter birthday and yet a spring thaw arrives every time your birthday rolls around. Such is my life. There is nothing I would love more than a foot of snow tumbling down on February 21st, giving me a day to stay indoors with a good book while I watch the winter wonderland outside. In most places I’ve lived, that shouldn’t be an impossibility. After all, it is still a whole month until the spring equinox. And yet you can bet that on February 21st, no matter where I am in the world, there will be spring thaw. No snow. No need for a coat. In fact, you can probably go swimming.

My mom has always known this little fact, but that has never caused her to discourage the girl who would like to go sledding, or ice skating, or have hot chocolate for her birthday. In 1991, it was no different. I wanted an ice skating party. We lived in front of a golf course, so it was simple to take your skates and go enjoy the iced over ponds throughout the New Hampshire winters. My mom said that was fine. I invited four friends: Bridget, Laura, Betsy and Lauren. It was all set. Until spring arrived.

I’m sure we had more freezing days of ice and snow after the Friday and Saturday of my party that year, but for that weekend we saw weather inviting the robins back early. A spring weekend like you would see in April – temperatures that didn’t required a coat at all. Which equals no ice. Anywhere. For ice skating.

Disappointment would probably be an understatement, although my wonderful mother took it as she always did. You can’t change this problem, so you square your shoulders, don’t complain and make the best of it. We called my friends and asked them to bring their roller skates. After all, we had a driveway to die for when it came to bikes and skates. And, in the end, it was a wonderful 11th birthday.


Me, Lauren, Laura, Betsy and Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment