Friday, July 8, 2016

Accelerated Learning

This past week, Emry has been on the fast track of growing up. As Ed reminded me last night, I kept saying the day would come when she would get up on those feet and run off without fair warning. That day is fast approaching.

About a week ago, I was in the kitchen getting dinner prepped and Emry was outside the kitchen door playing. I got a bit distracted and left her to her own devices a bit longer than 30 seconds before I stepped over just to see what she was up to. Up was right…up two of the steps she had climbed and was happily sitting there playing the mulch. A few days later, it wasn’t just two steps she scurried up. She climbed all six, crawled to the next one and up she went, crawled to the next one and up she went, and then crawled to the four that lead up to where the car is parked. Up those she went, too, and only stopped when I wouldn’t let her crawl out into the alley.

I woke up a few mornings ago to find her standing in her crib waiting for me. Now she pulls up on anything. We finally got her her first pair of good shoes this week, thinking that might encourage her to flatten her feet when she’s up on them. We were too late. She doesn’t need her new shoes to walk across the house with help. She’s hilarious to watch for at first she would drag her feet across the carpet. So Ed exaggerated picking up his feet and marching across the room. Ever wanting to please Papa, that is how she walks – picking up her knees high and then putting her feet down. Either she’s going to have great abs or she’s practicing for her future in a marching band.

I’m pretty sure that by the end of this month, I’ll be chasing a little girl around as she runs wherever she pleases. And while I’m glad she’s learning to walk, I wish she had waited a couple more months until after my first trimester. I’m exhausted enough every day without chasing a 15 month old around!



No comments:

Post a Comment