Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Moving

If there is one thing I know how to do it’s move. I mean, I have done it 17 times. But this is the first time I’m moving an office.

Well, that’s not entirely true. I once moved from one office space to another across the hall. That was a very tiny office, though, and 50% of what we moved were books. It’s fairly easy to move a stack of books from one shelf to another.

This move that will take place in less than two weeks is a whole different ballgame. For one, the place I work has been in that office area for 17 years. Let me repeat that. 17 years. Except for breathe, I’m not sure there are a lot of things I’ve done for 17 whole years. I won’t even begin to describe all the obsolete computer cords, CDs, paperwork or drawings (it is a landscape architecture firm – LOTS of drawings) you can accumulate over 17 years. Even I am a bit astounded.

The purpose of the move is multi-faceted. Suffice to say, a merger between two firms is suppose to occur January 1. We lost the toss on who got to move to who’s office space (probably because we rent while they own the building they’re in). So on top of the move, I have a ton on my desk pertaining to merging companies. But health insurance, 401(k)s, company insurance, taxes (and there are a TON in the city of Pittsburgh) and benefits have been set on the back burner while I focus on moving. The first goal, after all, is simply to get us there.

Which is easier said than done. I’m way behind as far as I can tell. Part of it is because I can’t simply start tossing things in a huge trash bin as I feel like it. And Missy, my boss and the owner of the company, all but freezes up when cornered to start going through stuff that really needs to be tossed. Reality is going to have to be faced within the next few days. Meanwhile she sits at her table and draws plans for a residential yard. Planting plans are much easier to deal with than tossing old drawings – at least in her mind.

I simply plow ahead with what I know must be done. File cabinets must be sorted. Things we’re getting rid of must be listed on craigslist. Books and pictures must be packed. And while I can’t say I’m getting very far, I will promise this: on July 29 that office will be packed and ready for the movers on July 30. It might take all day and night, but I swear it will be done. I’ve never missed a moving date, and I don’t plan to start now.

No comments:

Post a Comment