Friday, May 10, 2019

Moms

Mother’s Day is this weekend. A time of reflection. Not so much about my own motherhood. For one, no one needs to declare a holiday for me to spend time reflecting on all my mistakes. But, mostly, when I think of Mother’s Day, I am not the first person that comes to mind. In fact, a whole slew of women come to mind before I think of myself.

Which made me think of all the women in my life who have been either an example of great motherhood or like a mother to me. Allyson always comes to mind first. The epitome of the Proverbs 31 woman (although she would be the first to tell you she isn’t). And although I think of Allyson first, her own mother has been a wonderful example in my life. I have spent many happy hours with Mrs. Walker (and Mr. Walker) and I would gladly spend many more. She is also an amazing woman.

I think of the handful of nurses I worked with in Texas. They, first, were amazing women as hospice nurses – a unique breed with a gift of seeing patients and their families through one of the hardest chapters of life. But they also took me under their wings – making sure I made wise choices, I had a listening ear, I didn’t do stupid things and, if I was sick, took the drugs they gave me. Dinah, Jill, Gayle, Valerie and Debbie will always hold a special place in my heart. Most days, they were the reason I went to work at all!

In Minnesota, there was Tirzah. Tirzah is nearly nine years my junior and was expecting her first (of now three) children when I met her. I will never forget the first time I met her for my first thought was,  “Oh my goodness, that is one of most breathtakingly beautiful women I have ever met. We will never be friends.” I swear that is what I thought. Fast forward nine months when Tirzah came to work three to six hours a week at camp doing accounting work. Immediately a fast and furious friendship ensued that has held tight to this day. Yes, Tirzah is gorgeous. But she is also sincere, humble, funny and transparent. She’s an awesome mom and I wouldn’t have chosen anyone else to have those awkward pre-marriage conversations with!

In Pittsburgh there was Mrs. Timko. She and her husband have “taught” the baby to two-year Sunday school hour for over fifteen years at that church, watching many of those babies now awkwardly walk through their teen years. Emry adored them and they were Ethan’s first babysitters when he wasn’t but four weeks old. Mrs. Timko reminds me of my mother. I often wanted to ask her why she decided this way or that on a certain subject because I knew she could see things in a way I could not and was probably right. Most amazing, I think, was the grace of God in her life to simply get up in the morning for one of her sons died just before I met them and the second died the summer after Ethan was born. But she also knew she had a reason to keep going: her three grandchildren. She is always there for them.

Or how about my adopted grandmothers – women who have shown me what a real, loving grandmother can be? Mrs. Hardy in New Hampshire was the grandmother of the boy I tutored. She has always been interested in my life, supportive of my journey and even gifted me with her fine china and crystal. In Minnesota there was Mrs. Carlson who has now gone Home to be with her Savior. She and Mr. Carlson took me under their wings and often had me over after church for lunch. Everyone else in that church adored them, too.

I feel like the writer of Hebrews 11 and must now state, “And what shall I more say? For the time would fail me to tell of…” Denise, Mrs. Armstrong, Anna, Charity, Mrs. Sloan, Mrs. Baker and so many, many others. I am very blessed. I don’t think I could ever have too many “moms”!

No comments:

Post a Comment