Friday, October 11, 2019

Enjoying Fall

Autumn has been a long time coming. After a cold, wet spring that dragged into summer, I guess summer thought it had a right to steal days of our fall. Well into October, it has been 90 degrees. More like living in Texas than in Indiana. Every day I would not only longingly at my own warmer clothes but even at Emry’s and Ethan’s! I was so tired of the heat…and, then, suddenly it got cool. 60s, 50s, 40s at night. Finally!

With more seasonal weather, seasonal activities can now be enjoyed. Like corn mazes, apple picking, pumpkins and fall crafts. The latter of which I fail at. Although the foam leaves (purchased very cheaply at Hobby Lobby), some glue and glitter is basically a no-fail even for me. Even though I will probably be sweeping up glitter from now until we leave this house. But the popcorn ball spiders deserved a place on those Pinterest fail sites. (Which, if I posted to, I would probably be warned off for monopolizing. For that reason alone, most of my pins are for dreaming about only. Sadly. But such is the reality of my non-creative life.) 

Emry had seen popcorn ball spiders in a book we had read. Immediately she determined she had to make them. Since popcorn balls themselves are usually a sure-fail project, I was hesitant. But she kept mentioning them, and I do try to be a good mother. So…

Well, as predicted, the popcorn balls didn’t want to stick together and kind of sagged on the wax paper. And how anyone gets licorice strings to stick into them…maybe there’s a college degree for that for I’m pretty sure it would take me four years of school to master and probably also need a graduate degree. I told the kids they could make one each. I wasn’t about to attempt eight. Thankfully, they’re young. One was enough, and they were both quite happy with their sagging spiders.

 Emry making a face similar to her spider’s.


And Ethan with his spider.

All of us taking a hay ride out to a corn maze.

No comments:

Post a Comment