Monday, January 6, 2020

2020 Reading Goal

For my reading goal this year, I contemplated reading the final volume of Shelby’s Foote Civil War trilogy. I really do need to finish it and even though it’s large enough to kill someone with and the print it very fine, it’s easy to read and extremely informative. But with a baby coming half way through the year, I figured that would prove to be a very difficult reading goal. Because while I have learned that using the Kindle to read while I breastfeed is great downtime, juggling a volume three-inches thick and breastfeeding is not do-able. So, I decided on a…well, less cumbersome reading goal.

First, to read at least one biography or non-fiction book from my very long reading list a month. I have already made a list of the ones I hope to find at the library, but I haven’t gotten started yet because none of them are currently available at the library. But, we’re only one week into the new year so I still have plenty of time to catch up.

Second, to read books from my very long reading list and my own personal collection instead of scouring the bookshelves at the library and reading those books. For if I keep up that habit, my list will never get shorter!

And third, to read volume two of Charles Spurgeon’s The Treasury of David.If you’re only slightly familiar with Spurgeon you might think that a very easy task since his Morning by Morning or Evening by Evening (or the combination of the two entitled Morning and Evening) are quick (but very insightful) one page devotionals to read either in the morning or evening. But there are three volumes to his Treasury of David(which were originally published in four volumes) and the second one covers Psalms 58-100 in 479 pages of 8-point font. Essentially it is not only Spurgeon’s detailed exposition on each Psalm but also thousands of small expositions from hundreds of historical church fathers. It is wonderfully easy to read and shockingly profound, as Spurgeon always proves to be. Savoring this tome will be a highlight of 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment