Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Ice Skating!!!

1984 was a big year for me. I was four-years-old and the Olympics were in full swing. It was my introduction to the wonders of figure skating. Of course, come summer, I was introduced to gymnastics and Mary Lou Retton. And since a swing set, a floor and things to balance on are much more accessible than an ice skating rink (especially in Texas), becoming Mary Lou Retton was the dream. But I still wanted to try ice skating. Thank goodness there are malls in Dallas with indoor rinks.

I’m not exactly sure how my four-year-old discovered ice skating, but I have heard about it for months. Fortunately, a woman in one of our small groups works part-time at the rink they put up during the winter in West Lafayette. And when I talked to her about it, she said she had passes she could give us. With Ed home over the holidays, it seemed the perfect time to go. And New Year’s day had some very sunny and rather pleasant weather. And while Ed bowed out of skating himself, I enjoy the sport and decided I would take both kids in hand. 

At first, I wasn’t sure we were going to survive the whole endeavor. One time around the rink was quite intimidating. Ice is, of course, much more “slippy” (as my little Pittsburghers insist on saying no matter how many times I correct them with the word “slippery”) than it would appear. And being on blades much trickier than it would appear. The rink was also rather crowded at first. So, when I pulled them off after the first time around, I didn’t think either would want to try again. But they did! So, we made our way to the middle of the rink this time and I let them go at it.

Emry took to it. Naturally cautious, she wobbled through it and took falling down with dignity after the first couple of near-tear tumbles. Assuring her that falling down was all apart of it and seeing that many other (and bigger) kids fell down just as much, she was soon okay with it. Ethan…well, I let him go and he immediately decided that a triple axel was a good place to start. Really, he took a bounding leap and fell flat on his front side. After that, he wouldn’t let go of my hands. Which was fine, except my back really ached when it was all over!

In the end, neither child wanted off the ice. (Thankfully they were closing the rink, so staying was not an option.) Emry chattered on and on as I got off her skates, we walked to the car and all the way home that she loved ice skating, she wanted to go again and she really needed to take lessons.

Good thing I know where to get passes!



No comments:

Post a Comment