Friday, May 21, 2021

Pragmatic

Dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.

 

Based upon that definition, I can’t imagine that anyone is pragmatic all the time. After all, God has given us an imagination and sometimes it gets carried away and wanders into “theoretical”. But even in those moments, I can become very pragmatic about how I am dealing with my theoretical. After all, one must always have a plan.

 

Last weekend Emry had her awards ceremony for her successfully accomplished first year on the b-Bopper team at her dance studio. After going back and forth in August about whether to allow her to accept the invitation for the team, I am very glad we decided to do it. It has been a really good year at dance for her. She has learned a lot not just in the realm of dancing, but also in being responsible in practicing and having her things together and ready. She has also performed on several stages in front of as many people as can currently sit in any given place, and I don’t think she was nervous even once. If only I had such confidence!

 

I don’t suppose I expressly told Emry she was allowed to dress up really nicely to attend the ceremony/party but I did tell her to wear shorts under whichever dress she chose as she may play games. I didn’t have to do that as she doesn’t wear a skirt or dress without shorts, but I’m a mom so sometimes I just have to say what doesn’t need to be said. And since I said it, she took that very seriously and chose to wear one of her favorite long tops that is not really a dress over a pair of pink shorts. Since I figured the girls ranging from ages five to nine would be “dressed up” in all and sundry (one little girl in a gorgeous white tulle dress with a pair of crocks – one blue and one purple – was the winner of that contest), I didn’t press the issue.

 

Emry had great fun playing dance Bingo, winning a prize, and giggling with the other girls. Then it was time to give each of them an award, the titles created by their instructor and helpers to represent their little personalities. As Emry skipped up to get her “Dazzling Dedication” award, Miss Kelsey remarked, “I love the outfit with the shorts. Very pragmatic.”

 

Her use of that word hit me and I almost laughed. For Emry is nothing if not pragmatic…at least as pragmatic as a six-year-old can be. My mom is forever laughing at how pragmatically she deals with her brother until he sees things from her point of view or plays the game her way (most of the time). It will be interesting to see if she can deal with Ellyson the same way. Or “pragmatically” think of how Ellyson can be dealt with! 

 

I wonder where she gets that…


Emry and her b-Boppers team in their “Minnie” pose.

 

Emry and Emma – her new “best friend”.

No comments:

Post a Comment