Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Board Books

Our library is more-or-less back to normal (for now), and we are all very happy about that! So, instead of curbside pick-up (which I do like, so that is one good thing that has come out of Covid), we all went to the library the other day and I spent time searching shelves while the kids played on the computers. In my search of interesting picture books, I often forget the board book section. But I remembered, so I wandered over there to see if there might be anything interesting for Ellyson, who loves to sit and look at books. 

 

To be honest, there isn’t much you can’t find in a board book anymore. The series that came out when Emry was born on various realms of science (physics, Newton’s laws, etc.) are rather interesting. But the ones I saw this time? Biographies on Michelle Obama and Oprah. (The top two people on my list of women I DON’T want Ellyson to grow up to be like.) And various books on “feminism for babies”, including one entitled, “My First Book of Feminism (for Boys)”. A very confusing title in the 21stCentury. I mean, are we sure the baby is a boy? What if he wants to be a girl? I mean, she wants to be a girl? Or what if the baby girl wants to be a boy? I mean, he wants to be a girl? I’m confused just writing that…

 

Honestly: what happened to a basic board book on colors, shapes, the alphabet, and numbers?!?!?!?!

 

But maybe those are also up for grabs. Perhaps the letter A wants to be the number 8. Or the color red wants to be a square. They can be anything they want, right?

 

No grown adult should stand in the board book section of a library with the look of an idiot on her face, but there I stood. Shocked, disturbed, dumfounded, and feeling very sorry for my children. 

 

But then I found it! The board book all babies should read: Pride and Prejudice: A Baby Lit Storybook.I was “quite astonished” to find such a book. After all, I had recently read an article that Pride and Prejudiceought not to be read any longer. Apparently it is full of white supremacy. Oh, well! I snatched it up and took it home to read to both my girls and boy. Much to the eye-rolling of Ed. But good board books are hard to find! And everyoneshould know who Mr. Darcy is. For despite all his flaws, he’s not remotely confused. Why? He knows exactly what he is: a single man in possession of a good fortune who is in want of a wife. 


There, that was simple wasn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment