Friday, August 27, 2021

Old Toys

It’s been at least a year since I climbed up in my parents’ attic and pulled out my box of My Little Ponies for Emry. As I pulled them out I thought two things: 1) I am so glad I made a list of all their names because I have completely forgotten most of them, and 2) their hair could really use some work. But aside from the ones that are easy to brush, not much has been done in that area.

 

Several months ago, after lots of begging, I climbed up in the attic yet again and pulled out all my Barbies and miscellaneous other dolls. Again, I thought the same two things: 1) I’m so glad I kept a list of names, and 2) that hair really needs help!

 

Thirty years ago when Katey and I spent hours in our bedroom playing with our ponies, Barbies, and sundry there was no such thing as Google, YouTube, and Pinterest on which you can find just about DIY imaginable. So, while Katey and I were careful to brush and arrange hair and clothes before packing our toys away for good, 25 or 30 years in a box doesn’t keep toys pristine. But now I do have Pinterest…on an app on my phone no less…where a quick search of Barbie hair brings up a million pins on how to get one’s doll’s hair to look all-natural! And while their hair will never be as soft, golden, or perfect as right out of the box; I will say they all look much improved.

 

But, boy, was that a process. Like spending 24-hours at a Barbie spa! I am grateful that most of the ones I have don’t have dozens of curls. A simple wash, more complicated brush, and an overnight dry was about all of them required. Then the hair could be once again styled. But a couple did require “curlers” of straws and bobby pins or pipe cleaners. Now I remember why I didn’t become a beautician.

 

Next step is try to fix the heads of those that don’t stay on. That’s not going to be as easy and, surprisingly, there are not as many pins on that. But I am going to try. Right after I have a 24-hour My Little Pony spa. Which will be more like 48-hours. Because I have twice as many ponies. And most of them dohave curls. Ringlets of curls! That’s going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment