Saturday, August 7, 2021

Soccer!

It’s that time of year again…where for two weeks straight my personal inbox has influx of sport information. Between soccer and dance, I feel like I reach information overload until Emry could potentially show up at dance class in cleats. But then I talk to other parents who have a kid or two older than any of mine and they talk about all their sports…well, I’m left to being grateful that soccer is only on Saturdays for two months and dance is only one day a week with a performance or three to get to. I can handle that.

 

Unfortunately, our soccer season started with a huge disappointment this first weekend with Ethan running a fever and attempting to cough his lungs out. After he wasn’t old enough to play last season, he was so excited about this year…and then had to miss his first game. No Olympic hopeful was more disappointed than he. 

 

Lacking volunteers for the 60+ teams playing on Saturdays through August and September, I ended up as the coach of Emry’s team. The coach of a game I barely know anything about! Friday night I crammed on basic soccer rules and drill ideas. For because Ethan’s coach was out of the town the first Saturday, I had volunteered to coach that team as well beforeI knew I would end up with Emry’s team. So, I got to run around with 4 and 5 years olds for the first hour-and-a-half, take a break, and then run around with 6 and 7 years olds the second hour-and-a half. My soccer skill level is much more in par with the first group. The second group flat out needs a better coach.

 

But you can’t say we’re not having fun. 4 and 5 year old don’t know enough yet to feel disappointed at a loss. And my 6 and 7 years olds…well, some have some potential skill, one needs to stop touching the ball with his hands, two are so serious I’m not sure if they’re having fun or not, and you can’t beat the running commentary of my biggest kid. He told me quite often that he has played soccer for three years now. And since that’s more than I’ve played, I’m considering handing the coaching position over to him. I just wish he played as good as he talked!





No comments:

Post a Comment