Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Sports

It’s that time in our life: our kids are playing sports. Certainly not as many sports as some families I know. Nor do we devote half our lives to them, but as I do want my kids to have the opportunity to try different things, we are involved in sports. More and more, it seems.

 

Emry started taking dance the summer after she turned 4. The last two years she has been on the junior dance team (B-boppers) which is about all the commitment we can currently handle. Although I am very pleased with the program and how well she has done. She also enjoys it. 


Emry already for dance competition!

 

Ethan, now five, is very happy he is big enough to play t-ball. Although he has been somewhat disappointed that he must hit from a tee instead of being pitched to. We’ve been worried that the whole game will be a bit slow for him and in some ways I think it is. That and his inherited OCD seems to rise to the surface when he can’t go out and be Babe Ruth right off the bat. Still, he’s mostly enjoyed it:


Ethan at bat.

 

In a few short weeks, both Emry and Ethan will start tennis. I’m very excited about this one, for I really do love that sport. Their racquets arrived yesterday so we immediately hit the courts…and then went back today! It’s been a long time since I had a racquet in my hand, but my skills returned if a bit rusty. As did my love for the game. Emry also loves it. As does Ethan…when he’s not disappointed that he’s not Roger Federer.


 Our first tennis lesson!

 

And after that will come swimming lessons! Even Ellyson gets to join in this year. I’m curious as to what she will do. Sit on the side and “pout” because Mama left her with someone else? Or literally throw herself into it…and six inches of water. I guess we’ll see.

 

After that, soccer season strikes again. In the back of my mind I’m thinking of trying to avoid this awful sport by offering them basketball instead (which won’t take place until October at the earliest). Then Emry’s dance will begin again, although she has decided not to try out for dance team this year but take a year off to try hip hop and then tap. Ed would also like to see Ethan try some form of martial arts. And then Ellyson…well, we thankfully have a year or two before she’s ready for anything else. Although she already practices Emry’s dances with her – and does very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment