Friday, September 18, 2009

Another Week goes by in Texas

It’s hard to believe but it has rained all week long. We had some sun – usually in the evenings – which brought cooler temperatures. Very nice for jogging, but I didn’t play tennis at all because both nights poured buckets. Yet no matter how much it rains, the people down here still can’t drive in it.

I still miss the license plates of New Hampshire, but I saw several interesting bumper stickers this week. One read, “If you can’t stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.” Another read, “I’ll keep my guns, my freedom and my life – you can have ‘the change’.” On that same truck was another sticker of the Texan flag with the word “SECEDE” plastered across it. It would have been better with a Confederate flag.

Since Wednesday I’ve been at my friend Jenny’s house. She’s my boss’s daughter, but he, his wife and their two sons are off in Virginia this week. So, I’m camping out there to keep her company and get her to work and stuff. We’ve had fun, although as we both work we haven’t had any late nights. But now it’s the weekend!

Yesterday the eight nurses had their in-service – a monthly “get-together” where they discuss new forms, procedures and blood-born-pathogens (reminds me of camp!). Some of the CNAs came and the social worker because we ordered pizza. A nice change to have them gabbing and laughing the afternoon away in the office.

That same afternoon a man in a suit walked into the office. He gave his name, said he was a private eye, and did we know this girl he’s looking for? He showed us pictures, but we didn’t. Apparently the girl is in trouble and gave the office building as her home address. I know there are hundreds of private eyes out there, but this was the first time I ever met one in person. I only ever read and watch movies or tv shows about their thrilling lives. One of the nurses remarked after he left, “Wow, isn’t this an exciting place to work!”

I can’t stand Obama’s healthcare reform plans, but I am all about a plan that would completely annihilate insurance companies. I am of the opinion that no one actually works in those places – they are all run by automated machines. At least I can’t seem to ever get a real person on the phone. That is quickly becoming the bane of my existence.

I got my first book in the mail that I will read and blog about in one of my “blogging for books” programs. I think I’ve got four others on the way and I’m thinking if I could juggle yet one more. I’m probably getting carried away, but even though I don’t get paid for this it’s my dream job: free books, reading and writing about them.

Since I went from work to pick up Jenny on Wednesday, I had my laptop with me and wrote some during lunch. That works! I had written a section I hated, but I rewrote it much better (well, in my opinion). Another opportunity to write once or twice a week is welcome. Along that line, I got a short e-mail from Moody where I sent a proposal for one of my books for them to look at. They want me to write up a more detailed synopsis for them and e-mail it back to them. Not a contract, but it’s a step in the right direction!

1 comment:

  1. That is so great that Moody is asking for something more in-depth! I will be praying that everything works out well for you... I think you have a great talent for writing for the youth these days.

    Melody read your post before I did, and told me all about the detective that came by. Like you, none of us has ever met one in person -- just watched every single Dragnet episode (and then Adam-12) that ever came to be! Sgt Friday is just remarkable!

    Talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete