Monday, November 16, 2009

What is a restful weekend? Who knows exactly. Haven't had one of those since I moved to Texas. I certainly don't come upon Saturdays and face boredom like I used to. Can't say I've had a boring moment since I got here.

But this weekend was great - and greatly needed. Work has been a zoo for the past two weeks. Names, numbers, to-dos all run together in my head. I don't know if I'm coming or going - who's died or who's still living. I've been on the run so much, I sit in bed at night to read and have no idea what the words in front of me really mean. I think I hate that the most. Losing my ability to read and comprehend has got to be the end of the world.

But on Saturday I had plans to go out to a house in the middle of nowhere to visit old friends who live there. Their oldest daughter, although nearly 7 years younger than I, and I have corresponded over the years mostly on account of our love for writing. So I drove out to the country, sat on a front porch, and did nothing but chat about writing, books, and whatever for hours. In between, her six younger brothers and sisters ran in and out to join the conversation or tell me about the chickens, cats, neighbors, and whatever else runs through the mind of kids.

Maybe it was the doing nothing. Maybe it was the lovely day. Maybe it was being with a friend. Maybe it was being with a large family with a baby brother who talks as much as my baby brother. I don't know. But I got back to Denton and felt rested. By then it was five in the afternoon, but I ran an errand, baked pumpkin muffins and banana bread, washed my sheets and towels, and then sat down to enjoy a movie. Production on top of rest!

The next couple of weekends are going to be busy. Thanksgiving is on the way and then the guests arrive. When its all over and I'm exhausted, I've got to remember to take another Saturday and do nothing...well, nothing with a good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment