Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Holidays

So, it's been a while since I've even looked at my blog. Well, not even a week but it feels like a while. That's because I've hardly looked at a computer except to check my e-mail maybe once a day, look around at a few things, and watch some movies late into the night. And it's all because I am enjoying my Christmas holidays...which will all end tomorrow.

I arrived home last Wednesday. I got to the airport in Dallas with plenty of time to spare, so I did a little bit of work on my laptop and then read. The flight took off on time and landed a bit early - quite smoothly. Mom and Dad met me at the airport and out we walked into beautiful 30-something degree weather. So much more Christmasy than 70-something!

That night I got to sleep in my own spacious bedroom, in my own bed, under my own quilts, surrounded by my own purple walls and a thousand books. It was glorious! The next morning I awoke late, grabbed breakfast and went off to learn racquetball from my dad and siblings. It took a minute to get use to the idea of the game, but how hard can bouncing balls off walls be? Although I'm sure there is a lot of strategy to this game, I'm not there yet. But it is fun!

Christmas Eve Day didn't consist of much. I hung most of my ornaments on our huge Christmas tree and set up my Christmas village and carousel in my room. But there's just something about doing all this by yourself that isn't quite right. Guess that comes with the growing up territory. But the traditional family meal was fun. It's nice to be surrounded by all my siblings and not have to worry about the meals.

Christmas Day, sadly, was not white. (While it was in Texas - what is wrong with that picture?) But it was still fun, full of gifts, we woke up early and went to bed late full of good food, games, and laughter.

The next day it snowed. Most of the day. Lightly so it didn't amount to much more than a couple of inches. But it is so lovely!!!!! Snowed much of Sunday, too, so the world is white and beautiful. The temperatures are cold. I've worn my sweaters, and wool, and coats. Letting me go home might have been a mistake....

I have spent my days doing puzzles, playing games, watching movies, scrapbooking a few pictures, playing racquetball, eating much more than I should, staying up and sleeping in, and generally doing nothing important. Siblings tease and get on each other's nerves. Dad frequents his new find - a drive thru coffee shop - every time we're in town. Mom cooks up delicious meals. And tomorrow it all comes to an end.

Ah, well. All good things must come to an end. Life must go on. But thank God for the times of rest He does allow us.

1 comment:

  1. That's so great that you had a wonderful time at your home sweet home! It was so funny that we all got 'snowed in' and nothing much up north. We heard that a friend of a friend actually flew his whole family up to Ohio for a traditional White Christmas and then WE got it all... :-D

    ReplyDelete