Saturday, April 24, 2010

It's been one of those weeks full of wonderful things. For one, work was quiet. In fact, some days I was in the office all by myself. I accomplished everything on my "to-do" list. I shredded a whole box full of papers. I love weeks when I feel like I've really done something.

I wrote nearly three chapters in my book this week - a record since my move here to Texas. I have only two left to write, and about half the book to share with my critique group who really like it. It's great to get some time to write. And also time to map out the road trip my friend Jenny and I will be taking at the end of May. Got all our destinations set. Next week I'll book the hotels. Then we'll just need to plug in all the details. I can't wait! Civil War battlefields, new places to see, Southern plantations...it can't come too soon.

I housesat with Jenny as her family was gone (which means my boss was out of town). Change of pace, which is always nice. We watched North and South - one of my very favorite movies. We just laid around, chatted and were very grateful it rained both Thursday and Saturday night so we didn't have to water her mother's jungle.

Wednesday was "Professional Administrative Assistant's Day" and most of the nurses, the social worker and one of the chaplains took me out to lunch. Mexican food! Yummy! And gifts, too. Truly, I work with some amazing people and it is great to be a part of their lives.

When I got back to the Harris's on Wednesday evening, I checked the e-mail account I keep for contacts in my writing "career". I got an e-mail from the editor of Clubhouse (Focus on the Family's magazine for kids ages 7 to 9). They have accepted my quiz about brothers and sisters in the Bible. When I got back to Grandpa's today, the contract was waiting for me. I can hardly believe it!!!!!!!! My first step, I hope, into the world of publishing. A short story next maybe?

Last night Jenny and I went to see the play Cinderella at the local community theatre. It was very good, but I must say my favorite part was the two little girls sitting next to me. About three and four years of age, they came with their mother. They were dressed in flouncing pink "princess" dresses. During the play when one of the step sisters hit the other in the nose, the littler girl pointed to the stage and whispered loudly, "That one in the pink dress - she needs to say she's sorry!" Then, during the ball scene, they crawled from their seats and started dancing with each other in the empty aisle next to them. Adorable!

And today I got a bookshelf. Meaning I could get all the stacks of books off the floor here at my grandfather's. I just love bookshelves full of books...

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome you are getting your foot in the door, so to speak. I've still got my fingers crossed hoping hubby doesn't lose his job at Purdue at the end of June. Otherwise I don't know if we can afford for me to go to the National ACFW Conference in Indianapolis in September. Happy to hear your writihg. :o) Hugs, ~Susie

    ReplyDelete