Monday, January 10, 2011

Craziness

Okay, so I know I shall be 31 in six weeks. Which means I probably ought to be mature. And quiet. And all-together boring. Or, at the very least, sane. After all, when I was five years old, that’s what I thought of my 31-year-old parents. Even though it probably wasn’t true.

But snow does odd things to me. Like while other people gripe at the cold, wet white stuff; I find myself bubbling up with joy. Or others complain they have to drive in it while I have to force myself to pay just as much attention to the road as to the beauty of the trees covered with a blanket of radiant whiteness. And I got to enjoy it Sunday as I came home from church.

It was so lovely that after I parked the car, I went inside and got my camera to take some pictures. This led to tramping around, running and skipping through the glorious whiteness with my skirt held up so the hem wouldn’t get wet. And just to add to the winter wonderland, I walked about and twirled around as I laughed and giggled. Then I threw some snowballs at nothing particular for good measure.

Nothing like acting like an idiot when no one else is around. But sometimes I can act like one with people present. For example: on Wednesday I decided to take apart the DVD player.

Now I had perfect logic behind this. It wasn’t working. It had been dying since just before I left for Christmas. I came back and it was worse. My housemate, Haley, confirmed its passing on Wednesday. But I’ve worked in the hospice business for over a year now, and the thing didn’t have a DNR (Do-Not-Resuscitate). Therefore, I must try to save it.

Sadly, it was beyond my engineering skill. I don’t know how to fix lasers. By then, Haley joined me in the operation going on in the kitchen and pulled out another DVD player that also did not work. It was worse off than the first. Nor could I transplant one laser into the other. They didn’t match. So, we draped the house in black crepe and went into mourning.

Until Friday, when I stopped by Best Buy on the way home from work and bought another player. Our mourning turned into dancing. We can now be entertained after long days at work by something more than tales from our daily lives. (Neither Haley nor I live in a soap opera…our lives are more like watching the State of the Union address – okay, not quite that frustrating.)

Who knows what I might be up to next…

No comments:

Post a Comment