Friday, January 21, 2011

Events of the Week

In many ways, it has been a slow week. Work has been VERY quiet. A few deaths, but no admissions. Nothing exciting on the "social scene" either...not that there ever is. And now - finally! - comes the weekend.

My sister Grace arrived Wednesday evening to get her new car. Her flight was supposed to get in at eight. So, I left work at five, went for a run and ran some errands versus going home which is the opposite way of the airport. I got there early, but I "just happened" to pick up the book on my desk as I left work so I had something to read. Around 8, I started circling the terminal to meet her out front. I didn't count how many times I drove by, but by 8:45 I had the radio on to see if there had been any plane crashes, panic had set in as her phone went right to voice mail and I called home. Dad found the flight on-line and said it wouldn't arrive until 9:45. Apparently, my panic turns to anger (I wouldn't know as I don't panic much), and I said something to the effect, "Well, I'll lecture her when she gets here about calling." Dad replied that there was probably good reason and she would be just as tired as I. He was right. I sat in my car and read, but Grace sat on the tarmac in Kansas City for 2 hours waiting for them to de-ice the plane and no way to call me. I'm just happy God hears prayers of frustrated panic and my sister is safely here - and very happy with her new car which she drives quite well for only a few previous lessons on a stick.

God hears all prayers, of course, and answers them. A friend asked me to pray Tuesday for a meeting at the comptrollers office Wednesday morning. That could have turned into something quite messy but as it happened, it consisted of fifteen minutes and a clear review. For myself, I've been wrestling with an insurance company I've never worked with before pertaining to the billing of a patient since September. After hours on the phone and lots of failed attempts, my latest attempt at her September bill paid today! That headache is over and my boss will stop asking me about it (and getting upset). Praise God!

Last night as we settled down in the front of the fire and a movie, Haley and I got to talking about movie soundtracks and lamenting that you cannot get the beautiful score of North and South. However, there is a place online you can listen to it...which I have been doing all day long. Since I'll have the house to myself tonight (Haley and Grace are working the mission's conference at Haley's church), I am now contemplating spending all those hours in front of a fire, stretched out on the couch and watching the ENTIRE North and South.

Dad arrives tomorrow for the weekend. He and Grace will leave Monday to drive her new car back to Indiana. But I'm not sure Grace will want to leave. I think she get could very use to living the single life Haley and I enjoy: piling dishes in the sink until we get time to wash them; moving furniture all over the living room so everyone can be in front of the fire AND watch a movie; come, go and eat as we please. Of course, someone would have to ship her dogs down...and, I confess, it isn't always like that. When Haley and I pass like ships in the night all week, it's a bit lonely eating all by yourself all the time. Or eating cereal three times a day because there's nothing to be had out of cooking for one. I really could use a dog...

My sister Sally sent me her flights for a visit in February. She decided I need a visit for my birthday (which I hadn't planned to do anything for - what's 31?). I'm sure we'll have a good time, but it seems a little bit like one of those gifts you'd like to return to the store. For she leaves the day of my birthday at 6:40 in the morning. What kind of gift is getting up at 4 in the morning on your birthday? But, perhaps, she just wanted to get up at 3:10 and celebrate the very moment I turn 31. I think I'd rather just sleep until six as I have to work that day anyhow. Or do I? My birthday is a national holiday this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment