Monday, August 8, 2011

Brutus

In December of 2004, a little bundle of joy arrived in our home in Londonderry, New Hampshire all the way from Texas. A four-footed little bundle of joy - a surprise gift from my dad to my mom for Christmas. Mom named her little Great Dane Brutus (after the Disney movie "The Ugly Dachshund").

For the next few months of our lives, we stopped watching movies and watched Brutus grow. Every day. Every hour. Probably every minute. We laughed when our pastor's little daughter came into the house and would give the dog bigger than her a huge hug while her older brother escaped out Caleb's bedroom window versus walking through th
e living room where Brutus would come up to him to play. For I don't think Brutus ever realized how big he truly is.

A gentle giant. The one who would sidle up to you and lean against you, the way a Gre
at Dane does to show affection. The one who hides behind Mom's skirts when in public, or has to be pushed and shoved into the vet's office. He always wanted to sit with you on the couch for a movie, even if it was just his backside. And he loved to put his slobbering nose right in your face. And one icy morning, he got my fallen mom back into the house. A hero.

This last week, we had to Brutus down. Like most big dogs, his back legs gave out on him. He couldn't get up and he lost control of his bladder. Because we love him, we let hi
m go.

And, so, when I return home for the holidays there will be no big creature lumbering up to greet me, lean against my legs before I can get my footing, or plop his rear next to me on the couch. And I will sorely miss him.


The day after his arrival. Isn't he cute?


Not a week later, napping with his mommy and friend.

Puppies nap a lot...and so do their mommies!

Later that month...I guess we're in elementary school.


Junior high...that awkward time when you're not quite grown into your paws!

February now...just about full grown!

Beautiful full grown Great Dane!

Brutus
November 4, 2004 - August 5, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment