Friday, November 11, 2011

Training

Everything in our life has a purpose. We learn lessons in our life that God will use later (even though we wonder why we have to learn such a lesson at the time). I've many of those lessons in my life.

Some you just soak in over the years. Like how to scold. Wisely. I guess I got those lessons more than once. After all, I got scolded for my own foolishness and then I have seven younger siblings I watched get scolded for their foolishness. (And, granted, I was not a perfect child. Doubtless my siblings got scolded for my foolishness, too.) I got to put that lesson into practice this week. Several of the kids at church were playing in the fellowship hall Wednesday night and I was the only adult within hearing range. So, when 4-year-old John threatened to throw his shoe at his older brother Andrew if Andrew didn't stop doing whatever, I smiled and waited to see if I'd hear a shout of pain should John go through with his threat. He did not, but a few minutes later I heard him repeat the shoe-throwing threat. This time I went to see what he was up to. Sure enough, he had one of his shoes cocked behind his shoulder to throw at Andrew who was running around doing something John didn't like.

"John, why don't you put your shoes back on?" I suggested.

"But Kate and Ashley took them off," John protested.

"Well, can you put them back on?" I asked.

"Yes. But...but..." He sat back down to put on his shoes.

"Is it right to throw your shoe at your brother?" I asked as I sat down next to him.

"No. B-but Andrew is doing bad."

"Should you do something bad just because Andrew is doing something bad?"

"No."

"Then put on your shoes and go play."

As I watched him run off, I thought how much I sounded like an adult! Although I'm still not sure I'll make a good parent one day...

Another thing I have learned over the years is how to pack a box...or two, or three, or a million. I certainly wouldn't have any trouble getting a job with a moving company. All I'd have to put on my resume is "Moved 15 times and I'm not done". I'd be hired without an interview. Who knew knowing how to properly put together a box, pack it, tape it up and mark it well would come in so useful as an office manager? But yesterday I spent the entire afternoon packing away dead charts from 2005 to 2008. Ah, the fond memories that returned! And the exhaustion...

So, I should never sneeze at the lessons God brings my way. For who knows when I shall need the wisdom gained through the years. Or when I'll need to pack a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment