Sunday, July 7, 2013

MN: From the Perspective of a Nomad, Part 6

Most people know that Minnesota is the “Land of 1,000 Lakes”. After all, it does say that on their license plates. I think they put that on the plates because it’s much more romantic than saying “Land of 10,000,000 Boats”.

The truth is, I’m surprised they didn’t stop me at the border and demand to know where my boat was. Or expect me to purchase one within 60 days of my arrival. Everybody in this state has a boat. Rich or poor, sick or well – you have a boat. Might not have much of a car, but you must have a boat.

Camp itself has boats. The 3 pontoons are the only ones with motors. But we have sailboats, and paddleboats, and canoes, and kayaks. And when there’s family camp or weekend groups, they bring their own boats. Where I’m from, it’s the slightly wealthy or handful of avid fishers that have boats. Not here. Minimum wage is enough for a boat. As for avid fishers…

On Sunday, a little boy barely tall enough to see over my counter came into my office with his family as they checked in for Family Week. First, he had to show me his rocks (which he also shared). Then he started telling me about his fishing adventures. I was informed that fishing in Wisconsin is not worth one’s time or energy. If you wish to fish, do it in Minnesota. And wear a bright red t-shirt with a fish on it. 

“I’ve been fishing since I was three years old!” he told me.

He was probably all of five now. But that’s the way they train them here. I would even dare to say that three is a little old to be starting them. (Although Aaron’s three-year-old Hudson caught his first fish this past weekend.) In Minnesota, I think kids are born with fishing poles in their hands. If you have never been fishing, they would think you were from a different planet. And probably send you packing.


I have to confess, I don’t even own a fishing pole…let alone a boat. So, the jury is still out if I’m going to be allowed to stay. I wonder if getting a boat for my bathtub will count…

No comments:

Post a Comment