Thursday, July 11, 2013

Routine

We all know addictions are harmful. Of course, when we think of addictions we think of drugs, alcohol, gambling, smoking, etc. But there are all kinds of addictions and all of them can be harmful in some way. I, for one, am addicted to routine.

If I was lounging on a sofa in a psychologist’s office, I’m sure I would discover I can blame this addiction on my parents. First, I was born a military brat. And surely a Naval officer demands order and routine. Second, my mother is of Scottish blood. And have you ever met a Scot who doesn’t do things in an orderly manner? But, ultimately, it was just the way I was born. Ask my sister Katey. I had to put everything in order before we could play with our toys. And Mom tells the story of when I wasn’t quite two, we had moved to Texas and our furniture had yet to catch up with us. So I wouldn’t get crumbs all over the house, I was told to sit in one spot on the floor when I ate my meals. Even when the table did arrive, I took my plate to my spot on the floor.

Of course, like anything that’s new, it takes a little while to get into a routine. When I arrived at camp in February, it felt like chaos. Truthfully I’m not sure if that’s because it was all so new to me or quilt retreats are that way…I’ll find out this fall when round two hits. And while I was trying to get a handle on the event taking place, I was constantly learning to look three or four months into the future at the events coming up. There was more than one thing I forgot to do until the last minute and that always throws me for a loop. In February, I was gazing at the summer with not a little trepidation…

I have since discovered that the summer brings routine. And that is where I thrive. On Sunday, the kids arrive and I work nearly a full day with registration. On Monday, I clean up from Sunday and tidy that event up, finalizing my reports even though the event has just started, but those reports aren’t going to change so I can finish it off. On Tuesday, I have a staff meeting, prepare the mailing for what week (which Brittany’s junior program staff stuff in envelopes for me) and pull the last reports for the present week of camp: numbers on how many photos to order, list of who is authorized to pick up the kids at the end of the week, and prepare cash party labels (for the money the kids don’t use that week). Wednesday is my day off. On Thursday during Super Kids (ages 8 to 11), chaos erupts as the kids leave. I also prepare my report to do the mailing for next week, make sure things are in order to put my cabins together for next week and tidy up loose ends. Fridays are last days of camp for Junior High and Senior High weeks and sometimes I go home early. Although I work at home spread out on my living room floor actually doing the cabin assignments (my favorite part of summer camp!). On Saturday, I’m up at camp for a few hours putting my reports together for Sunday. In the midst of all that; the phone rings, e-mails need to be answered and summer registrations continue to trickle in a few at a time. I am thoroughly enjoying my summer.

Last week, however, was family camp. And my routine came to a screeching halt. In all honesty, I hardly knew what I was doing with myself. Although some things had to be done as normal, so many things didn’t have to happen that I felt a little lost, and off kilter and, therefore, frustrated. There is nothing more annoying to me than lack of routine. Thankfully, I’m not a forthright person most of the time because I felt quite short tempered and easily irritated by people who were only adding to my lack of routine. By Saturday, as I processed my reports (and there are nearly 15 of them I have to piece together), I felt much better. I don’t know what I’m going to do when camp ends the middle of August…

Actually, my routine will be shortly in transition. My last mailings (aside for two family camps) go out next week. I hardly see any summer registrations any longer. My database is about to be shifted from summer-looking to quilt-looking. We hope to launch Men’s Retreat and Dads ‘n Daughters online registration for September next week. Women’s retreat registrations are pouring in. The first week of quilt in November already has 75 attendees (and the mailing only went out last week). Lisa is working on those registrations right now, but they will appear on my desk on today. I need to gather graphic artwork for the retreats, get out my folders and start thinking cooler weather, colorful leaves and apple cider. And then take a deep breath…and work on settling into another routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment