Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pies in the Face and the FBA

Super Kids 2 ended Thursday. Nearly 200 kids ages 9 to 12 had been running about camp last week. It was a busy week – lots of activity. And with the warmer weather (around 90 for two days in a row), they kept mostly to the water. With that many children, I was quite ready for a busy Thursday morning as they all left. And busy it was.

The phone rang every five minutes, which makes getting other things done rather difficult. And it’s not easy to keep one ear on the phone conversation and the walkie-talkie. But the phone calls saved me when I heard my name over the radio.

At closing assembly, some staff member gets a pie in the face. I’m not 100% sure how it happens. I don’t have time to go to a closing assembly. I think it has something to do with memory verses. All I know is, I’ve had a target on my back (or face) since the summer started. They call it an initiation, but I think they’re just out to see if they can get me for Marc has worked at camp well over 15 years and never had a pie in the face. Well, my number came up on Thursday. Only I was on the phone with a mother who had a lot of questions. So, I was spared. While Andrea took my “dessert”.

The kids were released soon after and I had more than one little visitor from the FBA with their mother who told me she had left over canteen money that didn’t get returned to her.

“I had $12.25,” one girl told me.

She was right. Somehow, the money didn’t get put in a bag for her, so I gave her the money.

“I had $8.75,” said another little girl.

She, too, was right except it was a green card which his bonus money, so I sent her to the store to spend it before she left.


I expect to meet quite a few members of the FFA in Minnesota, but I was surprised at the amount of the FBA (Future Bankers of America) I met on Thursday – little girls who keep better tabs on their money than any of the teenagers who have been around camp this summer and some of the adults. If you ask me, we should put the government in their hands. Give them a few years, and we’d be right as rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment