Thursday, August 22, 2013

Summer Favorites

I haven’t really written a lot about my wonderful summer at camp. I haven’t had time! It’s been very busy and it’s hard to believe it’s already over. But I thought a snapshot of my favorite moments would be good. And I am so awfully good at making lists:

  • Coming into work one day to find four young boys crawling around the golf cart on their hands and knees “What are you doing?” I asked. “Catching a squirrel!” 
  • A little boy running into my office where Andrea and I were hard a work, looking over the counter and demanding, “Which one of you is Melissa?” “Um, I am?” “The ping pong ball machine ate my quarter. I was told to come here, and see Melissa, and she could get me a ball.” I am now adding “ping-pong-ball-provider” to my resume. 
  • Little eyes gazing at me in fear as I asked the little siblings of our campers if they wanted to come to camp, too. Most of them just shook their heads. 
  • Hudson. Aaron’s little three-year-old is my new crush. He’s way more cute than he should be…and more trouble. How many times can you lock yourself in the bathroom? 
  • Not getting a pie in the face. I was on the phone when my name came over the walkie. Andrea took it for me. I baked her a loaf of bread in thanks.
  • Cool weather! We have had a grand total of 5 days that hit 90. While you thought these Minnesotans might melt, I loved every minute of it! And can you believe that some leaves are already changing! 
  • Learning to play octoball. I am very bad at it.
  • Registration days. There were moments I wanted to pull my hair out, throw the computer across the room and tell a few teenagers that being with twelve-year-olds (which they were only two years ago) for four days wouldn’t kill them. But I loved seeing all the kids come in, chat with them and have them tell me all about the fun they have at camp.
  • Serving the summer staff – they were a good team. I’d say by the end of the summer less than half of them weren’t terrified of me…
  • The surprise of receiving a gift from the summer staff – a Kindle! (More on that later…)

No comments:

Post a Comment