Friday, December 20, 2013

That's Where I'm Going!

Okay, so maybe I'm a little excited about going home today for Christmas. I was so occupied yesterday morning thinking about all the things I needed to do last night to be ready that I forgot to pick up Marc. He had asked me to pick him up at Upsala Motors where he was leaving his car to be worked on on my way to work in the morning. As I pulled into the camp parking lot and saw his car missing, I wondered where he was since he's always in before we are. And then I remembered! Good thing work's only 5 minutes from Upsala...

This year instead of getting excited because I'm headed someplace cold where we might actually have a white Christmas, I'm headed to the "sunny south". Or "sunny midwest". Or "sunny southern midwest". I don't know. I'm pretty clear about where New England is. Or where the Mason Dixon line is drawn. Or where THE South truly is (especially since I have to explain my accent so much now). But the Midwest is still very obscure to me. Where does it begin? And where does it stop? Do I live in the Midwest? Or is Minnesota and Dakotas lost in their own space, somewhere between Midwest and Northwest? Maybe it all depends upon where you're standing. 

Anyhow, last night we got nearly 4 inches of snow! Wasn't expecting that, but I watched it from my window last night. It was gorgeous - one of those snows that glitters and it falls from the sky and shimmers in softness on the ground. It was a soft, powdery snow not at all good for snowball fights or snowmen, but wonderful just to gaze upon and sigh in wonder and peace. The next few days here will be in the teens to below zero. Where I'm headed it's actually above freezing during the day! I think I might need to pack my swimsuit...

Indiana. Home of...cornfields. I arrive tonight. My parents will pick me up. I think a couple of sisters might be home when I get there. Most definitely the three dogs will run to greet me. And all day long I'll hum the song from Straight No Chaser, "Indiana...that's where I'm goin'!"

Yea!


No comments:

Post a Comment