Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Flies By

A week ago I arrived in Indiana to pouring down rain and nearly 50 degrees. Seeing the rain made me realize how long it's been since I've seen it. Only this time it's not because I came from Texas where it hardly ever drops anything out of the sky. This time it's because I've seen nothing but snow falling from the sky for the past two months!

It's been a great time at home. I've thrown Jenny's new cat off the table several times, played fetch down the hall with the dogs, ate much more than I should, saw Frozen for the second time (and would see it a dozen more), played several rounds of racquetball (and haven't won one), put together two puzzles, played several board games, read four books, gone to bed late and woke up even later and wiled away quite a few hours doing practically nothing.

But the best part of Christmas this year was the surprise arrival of my baby brother. Caleb graduated from high school in June and joined the Marines. He finished boot camp in September, went through combat training and is now training in radio in the desert of California. Until a few weeks ago, we all thought he wouldn't get leave to come home for Christmas. Then he called me and said he was coming, but I wasn't to tell our parents. He arrived on a delayed flight very early Sunday morning. Sally picked him up at the airport and took him back to her apartment. On Sunday, he slipped into church in full uniform with a bouquet of flowers for my surprised (and crying) mother. It was the best gift my parents (and all of us) received for Christmas!

I still have nearly three days here in Indiana before I return to white, snowy, frigid Minnesota. I'll go see a movie with at least two of my sisters tomorrow, play some more racquetball, throw the cat off a few more tables, play some more games and eat a few more cookies than I should. It will fly by way too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment